If you are a MSI laptop user and have been facing troubles because of its camera, you are not alone in this. Many have come asking for a fix that has become a common yet annoying occurrence. Though they all have the same problem, the causes differ from user to user, may it be a faulty system or just a technical issue they can’t quite pin down. Are you one of those people who can’t get their MSI computer webcam to work?
This is your last stop, because no matter the reason behind this problem, we give you a comprehensive guide on how one can resolve the concern of MSI laptop cameras not working. Without further ado, let us continue with this article to soothe any unease.
Reasons For MSI Laptop Camera Not Working
Being a world-leading gaming laptop, Micro-Star International laptops have championed in gameplay experiences. Since the advent of COVID-19 pandemic, online gaming viewership platforms such as Twitch have gone viral. Professional gamers would come live and play long hours, single or multiplayer, with their cameras on to record their reactions and make the video-watching for the viewers more interactive.
To give you a brief overview, the common reasons why the MSI laptop might not be functionings can be:
- MSI Dragon Center has the camera disables
- Old Fashioned camera drivers
- Driver files are corrupted
- The camera or internal wiring is busted
To fix your camera, we have laid out six easy solutions that you may try. To successfully restore the camera to its normal working, be sure to follow each step carefully.
1. Enable Camera Access
To maintain your privacy, the MSI laptop itself turns off the MSI camera. If that’s the case, when you open the camera application, it will notify you for the permission to access the webcam. Here is how you overcome this minor hitch:
- First, press the Windows + I key that opens Settings,
- Go to the option Privacy & security.
- Click on App permissions once you’ve scrolled down, and select Camera.
- Once inside, look at the Camera toggle and make sure it’s switched on.
If you still cannot see the camera turned on while using your application, it is possible that the application itself is not permitted to access the webcam. Following is a simple way to overcome that hurdle:
- Under ‘Let apps access your camera,’ look for the application that cannot access the camera.
- Switch the toggle button from Off to On on your MSI laptop.
Before you open the said application, restart it. Reopen it and check to see if the webcam is working or not. If this does not do the trick, things are going to get a bit more technical from now on. Your next move is explained below.
2. MSI Dragon Center Camera Enability
Like all pre-installed applications (like App Store or Play Store), MSI’s Dragon Centre is already available on the laptop. In this app’s settings, there is an option to enable or disable your webcam with just a click of a button. Enabling a hotkey in Dragon Centre increases the chances of your MSI camera not working. If you think this might be in your case (because many MSI laptops have a hotkey action button), first figure out what the function key is making your camera turn off/on.
To locate it, the top-most rows of the keyboard are function keys, and a small camera icon can be seen on the button, usually found on the F4 or F6 keys. For this, you just need to simultaneously press Fn and this function key to turn your camera on or off.
3. Hardware Troubleshoot
It is not the end of the world if you cannot get your MSI laptop camera to work. To fix this issue, there are a few more things you can try before you’ve exhausted all your efforts. Some internal hardware problems can be the cause of all these worries. To confirm this, you have to run the hardware troubleshooter to pinpoint the issue and come to a solution.
- Hold down the Windows + R key for Run to pop up.
- Simple type msdt.exe -id DeviceDiagnostics and press Enter to open Hardware and Device Troubleshooter
- Let the process complete so that, on the screen, the hardware issue causing your MSI camera not working shows up.
- Follow the troubleshoot instructions to resolve any hardware troubles.
4. Update/Rollback Driver
The smooth working of your MSI laptop is assured by the update requirements of the software driver. Older versions of a driver, especially, need to be updated frequently for them to work properly. Although this may turn out to be the solution for some, most might still be stuck trying to get out of this mishap.
Beginning to have problems after you have updated the driver? Fret not — simply roll back to the previous version to hop the hurdle. Here is what you do:
- Press the Windows and X key, and click on Device Manager.
- Expand your camera and double click on the driver that is listed.
- Go to the Driver tab.
- Choose Update/Roll Back Driver, according to your situation.
Uninstalling and reinstalling the driver can also make your webcam work again.
5. Application Uninstallation
The problem of your MSI laptop losing its function can arise from a recently downloaded app on the system. What you can do is delete it, and see if it fixes your problem.
- Hold Windows + R keys together to open Run.
- Type appwiz.cpl and push Enter. This opens the Program and Feature Window.
- Find the latest app you installed, click on it, and select Uninstall.
- Once the uninstallation is complete, restart your laptop.
If all the steps mentioned above do not work out, there is only one last choice you are left with.
Want more guidance about laptops and smartphones? Learn Here:
6. Contact the MSI Team
MSI laptop camera not working on Windows 1o nor Windows 11? An internal damage to the camera can be the problem. After trying everything nothing is giving you a positive result, consider yourself among the few unlucky who just got a bad product from their distributors.
It can be the cable, wrong wiring or the smallest chip in the camera’s fitting — whatever the reason, it’s best to get professional help from none other than the manufacturers here. However, if your MSI laptop is still not working, you can buy some new gaming laptops such as Alienware and Asus.
The MSI laptop is a prestigious gaming computer system with all-rounder gameplay experiences. As a lot of the gamers in their community opt to go live and play their favourite video games, a functional webcam plays a crucial role. If it’s not working, the above mentioned steps would be sufficient to resolve your issue. For issues related to other gaming laptops and play stations, explore more!